Who we are looking for?
Is the media landscape your passion? Do you love to write and do you excel at it? Are you a great networker and do you know how to get the word out? Then we’re looking for you. This role will directly manage the International PR Manager, your right hand for writing and distributing press releases, and will work closely together with the Head of Communication to spot PR opportunities on a daily basis. The plant-based and cellular agriculture PR work that you will execute will cover a wide range of topics from policy to food industry, food services and consumer behaviour developments - you know how to make those topics accessible to the wider public and trade press. We are also looking to significantly increase our broadcast media presence across four continents.
The Senior PR manager's key responsibility is to substantially increase ProVeg’s PR profile internationally, and to support ProVeg’s country offices and international departments and programmes to increase their media and PR profile. The postholder is also expected to establish senior ProVeg leaders as thought leaders in their field, and manage the ProVeg ‘Press office’. The post holder will work closely with the International Head of Communication, department communications managers and the national communications managers.
ProVeg’s public profile has significantly increased in the last two years, thanks to creative campaigns, policy work, food industry and retail, and food services successes, and other corporate and system change activities that have set ProVeg apart from many other organisations active in a similar space. We are proud of these achievements, but we also see potential for substantial further PR and media opportunities globally. We would be happy to share current PR insights and KPIs with selected candidates, who have a bold vision for this position.
Reports to: Head of Communication
Line manager for: International PR Manager
Department: International Communications
Location: Remote (ideally, UK, NL, DE, PL, ES, CZ, ZA or US)
Hours: 32-40 hours per week
Salary: commensurate with experience and location (£32,000 - £40,000 pro rata if based in the UK; adjusted for local standards if based in other countries).
1. Developing a global PR strategy and priorities for ProVeg International departments and country offices
2. Generating media coverage for ProVeg International departments
- Creating a PR Strategy, detailed timeline of planned PR activities for 2022 and a general plan for future years to increase proactive and reactive print, online, and broadcast media coverage.
- Setting and monitoring overall annual and quarterly PR objectives and key results (OKRs).
- In conjunction with Country Directors, researching the baseline ProVeg PR profile in each country and internationally, and assessing the media landscape to identify opportunities.
- Using lessons learned about effective PR over the past years, implement strategies to build on ProVeg success stories.
- Developing media networks and building contacts with key media representatives (including science-based, trade and other journalists and stakeholders).
- Execution of the PR strategy to expand PR reach in non-ProVeg countries.
3. International support for ProVeg country offices
- Leading and overseeing PR work for international interventions, and for any international reactive work.Attending press events where relevant.
- Organising and overseeing PR for media events including press news conferences in close collaboration with relevant Departments/Heads.
- Overseeing a response to press queries in close collaboration with the International PR Manager and relevant Departments/Heads.
- Selling/pitching stories to a variety of media channels, including B2C and B2B (trade) press, for Food Services, Food Industry and Retail, and other international activities.
- Supporting national implementation of international PR work including international reactive work.
- Coordinating international PR strategies and ensuring consistent and responsive messages and effective communication.
4. Leadership and development
5. Optimising PR procedures
- Building up the profile of the Executive Team: arranging and, where relevant, helping to prepare for, press interviews for senior management.
- Developing opinion pieces and thought leadership articles for senior management.
- Writing/editing/publishing thought leadership pieces for immediate and planned release.
- Ensuring quality control of press releases and international brand reputation.
- Overseeing risk management analyses and mitigation.
- Mentor, coach and supervise the International PR manager and where relevant other colleagues, such as international communications managers.
- Implementing and using PR tools to enhance press release distribution, and reactive and responsive media coverage.
- Optimising PR tactics through media and skills training for colleagues.
- Setting up standard operating procedures for proactive and reactive work, crisis management, monitoring, evaluation, and estimating the yearly worth of international PR by calculating the media coverage across all domains.
- Providing expert media advice to staff who attend conferences and food events, identifying media opportunities in their domains such as Smart Protein or V-label.
- Improving the ProVeg website Press Kit and developing/overseeing any Press Kits for campaigns.
Any other related tasks commensurate with the level of the role.
Application deadline: 12 October 2021
Interviews: mid - late October 2021
Start: November 2021
Please send us your application documents (including cover letter, curriculum vitae, and references) using the application form.The next steps in the application process include:
• A general online assessment
• A first interview with HR
• Job-specific online trial assignments
• An online interview with the Head of Communication
ProVeg International is a food awareness organisation working to transform the global food system by replacing animal-based products with plant-based and cultured alternatives. We work with decision-making bodies, companies, investors, the media, and the general public to help the world transition to a society and economy that are less reliant on animal agriculture and more sustainable for all humans, animals, and our planet. We have offices in nine countries across four continents and are active around the world. ProVeg has a permanent observer status with the UNFCCC, special consultative status with ECOSOC, is accredited for UNEA, and has received the United Nations’ Momentum for Change Award.
We base our strategy on empirically-based evidence whenever possible. We seek to stay abreast of the latest research to inform our strategic considerations and outreach materials. We evaluate all of our programs to make sure we are allocating our resources in the best way to reach our goal.
ProVeg fosters a culture in which challenges become opportunities to learn and thrive. Because changing the global food system is a huge undertaking, we are looking for new team members who are pragmatic and professional and who are willing to step out of their comfort zone when needed. Critical problem-solving skills, team spirit, and creativity are all vital to accomplishing our ambitious goals.